We’ve been all about mastering quick and delicious meals here at the Godmother’s house the past few weeks. Our little one is just over a month old and I’m realizing how quickly she’s growing. On one hand, I’m excited because it means we’ll be able to do so many things together and I’ll get to teach her and watch her discover the world around her. But then, time is passing so quickly and I just want to be sure we’re getting the chance to enjoy each of her stages of growth before they’re gone.
So I plan, a lot, especially when it comes to my time in the kitchen. Pre-baby, you would have probably seen a few more steps to this recipe to allow for “made from scratch” pasta, but when I want to spend twenty minutes tops on dinner, from scratch pasta is not in the plan.
I’m loving this dish because the flavors layer so beautifully, it’s filling but not very fattening, looks nice with the bits of lemon and fresh parsley speckling the pasta, and it takes minutes to make. We’ve made it twice already in the span of two weeks. I think this may become my new “go to dish” to send to neighbors and friends when they need meals, it’s already earned a repeat spot on our dinner table.
I made this for my in-laws the night they arrived and took the photos for the blog post then, but I forgot to take a picture of the finished product because it smelled good and we were hungry. Bad food blogger! I’ll try to remember to add a picture next time we make this dish. 😉
Lemon Chicken Pasta makes 4-6 servings
- 8 oz whole wheat pasta
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp adobo seasoning (usually found in the Latin foods section of the grocery store)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- juice from 1 lemon (about 3 tbsp)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Following the package directions, cook the pasta and drain.
- While the pasta water is boiling, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Prepare the chicken and sauce while the pasta cooks.
- Add the onions and cook about 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Season the chicken with the adobo and add to the skillet to cook.
- When the chicken is almost completely cooked, add the lemon juice, zest, and fresh parsley. Leave on the heat until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Return the drained pasta to the stockpot, add the complete contents of the skillet and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.