Spaghetti squash shrimp scampi is a very easy, low carb dinner idea. You can make it in just a few minutes if you have prepared spaghetti squash on hand.
At times, when I’m reading my own blog, I find myself wondering when I make all this food. Time is a precious commodity, as it is for all of us, and I don’t have hours in the day to spend cooking. In fact, most dinners consist of leftovers, eggs, or something the Godfather or I prepare in 20 minutes or less. The spaghetti squash scampi is one of those recipes, in its way.
You see, the squash itself does require a little preparation. When I purchase a spaghetti squash at the store, I poke a few vent slits into it, toss it into the slow cooker with about 1/2 a cup of water, and leave it on low overnight. Then next morning, I halve it, scoop out the seeds, and save the shredded squash to use in the next 3-ish days. So there is a little prep work involved, but I liken it to pre-washing the fruit right when I bring it home so it’s ready to grab and go. The entire process really doesn’t take more than a few minutes with the slow cooker doing most of the work.
The exact contents of this scampi dish vary depending on what we have on hand. I made it with shrimp the night I took pictures. We’ve also used diced chicken (even leftovers), or omitted the meat altogether and topped with an egg. A bit of grated hard cheese is lovely as well. This is one of my “work with what you have” dishes, customize to suit your liking, and get dinner on the table recipes.
I actually had it tucked away for possible posting in the new year when everyone is looking for “healthier” recipes, but didn’t want to wait. Today is a day cake can wait. Recipes that require time can wait. Something quick, a healthier alternative to a traditionally calorie-laden dish, a “good for summer but also comforting in cooler weather” dish with lots of garlic feels right. Especially since I’m writing this after 3 pm the day before publish with only a vague idea regarding dinner tonight. If only I had some spaghetti squash, haha…
Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi
- 1 3 lb spaghetti squash
- 1 lb shrimp thawed, fresh or frozen , tails removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- tbsp juice from 1 lemon 2-3
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
- 4 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- If you haven't cooked your spaghetti squash in advance to have it ready to go, add 35 minutes to your prep time and bake in the oven as outlined here.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp and cook until just pink and then remove and set aside. Be careful not to over-cook the shrimp since you'll add them back to the skillet in a minute.
- Add the lemon juice, parsley, cooking wine and butter to the skillet and cook 2-3 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Place the spaghetti squash in the skillet and cook 2 minutes, then stir in the shrimp.
- Salt to taste and serve immediately. Enjoy!