This Tinkerbell inspired smoothie may not give you the ability to fly, but its nutritious ingredients and lovely layering do make days a little more magical!
Confession time! I’m terrible at making themed foods. Pinterest mom I am not. BUT… I really like the idea behind themed food. Recently, I read a post in a Facebook group where this creative mama makes themed dinners for family “movie nights” for her girls and I LOVE the idea. I can’t wait to try this out once little one gets a bit older and branches out to different movies. Right now we like Cars, and only Cars.
Anyway, I was talking to Tara at An Aiming High Wife about possible recipes to make with a plethora of pineapple, and she suggested a smoothie. She’d recently made a Rapunzel inspired smoothie for her daughter, and I wanted to do the same! Well… sort of, because I really like green smoothies and also had to use some spinach I had on hand.
The colors reminded me of Peter Pan’s favorite fairy sidekick (hence the name), and Princess A loved it! I like that the smoothie contains no added sugar, tons of fruit and vegetables, and the extra that we didn’t drink froze perfectly for smoothie pops in popsicle molds! There might be hope for me to become a sort of Pinterest mom yet…
But seriously though, this is a really cute and fun smoothie for anyone who needs a little Tinkerbell fairy inspired fun in their day! I added some star sprinkles as “pixie dust”, which is something I might not do every day, but it’s fun. Just add the sprinkles right before serving as they dissolve quickly. I would absolutely make these in mini glasses for fairy princess party or Neverland party treats. The best part is, if you take away the name (and sprinkles), you have a very sensible pineapple spinach layered smoothie that tastes lovely and is very nutritious. Everyone wins here.
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 Hass avocado
- 1 cup frozen banana slices, about 1 large banana
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pineapple
- 1 cup frozen banana
- 1/2 cup milk, almond milk, cow's milk, coconut milk - whatever makes you happy
- Optional: star sprinkles to add "pixie dust"
- Blend the green layer ingredients until smooth. Pour into chilled glasses. This will make 2 adult-sized smoothies or 4 kid-sized smoothies
- Rinse the blender and blend the yellow layer ingredients. Pour over the green layer. Top with star sprinkles if desired.
- Extra smoothie (if any) is great frozen into popsicle molds for a healthy treat later!