This post was updated September 2015 as part of the #ThrowbackThursday photography project where I add delicious new photos to older blog recipes. Enjoy!
It’s the weekend and we shall all celebrate with breakfast! Hooray! Being that the Godfather is not a morning person and, if I’m up really early in the morning I’m usually working, weekday breakfasts are on the simple side. Come the weekend though… oh, the lovely weekend… breakfast is an event!
With some gorgeous fresh local blueberries in the fridge and the promise of a delightful cup of French press coffee, it only seemed natural to celebrate with blueberry pancakes!
If you’re looking for a fluffy pancake that isn’t too sweet and showcases the fruit (or whatever you choose to add) beautifully, look no further! I was also very excited about adding some of my golden flaxseed meal, the Godfather was less so. You should have seen the look he shot me when I pulled it out! BUT, he was converted after tasting the pancakes and realizing that you could get all the fabulous benefits of flax without going “full granola”. If you have children, this is a good way to get them to eat flax as well!
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups organic milk
- ½ cup organic sour cream
- 1 tbsp oil (or melted butter)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ⅓ c golden flaxseed meal
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine your wet ingredients, then add wet to dry and stir until just combined. Fold in your blueberries and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add about ⅓ cup batter for each pancake (I used a large ice cream scoop) and cook until golden on one side, flip and cook until golden on the other side.
- Serve warm with toppings of choice. We thought a light drizzle of pure maple syrup was perfect.