My latest easy breakfast love, a chocolate cherry smoothie bowl! I love how adding toppings is a little bit art project, a little bit playing with your food, and totally acceptable!
Why has it taken so long for me to get into this smoothie bowl thing? I know you’ve seen them too, beautifully styled and posted on Instagram around breakfast time, and you’ve thought “That is so beautiful. Why am I still drinking my smoothies with a straw? What am I doing with my life?” Or something like that. No offense to smoothies with a straw, we love those too around here, but a smoothie bowl is like a weekend brunch smoothie, or a way to feel extra fancy at your desk since smoothies are technically acceptable to have at your desk at work in a cereal is not. I think. At least you’ll have a pretty picture for Instagram either way.
So what exactly is the difference between a smoothie and smoothie bowl other than some pretty toppings? A smoothie bowl is a little thicker. To achieve the thicker consistency, you add a little less liquid and usually a bit more fruit and veggies. One very common addition is avocado. I opted for avocado here because I’m all about getting in healthy fats when possible, and the avocado adds a great creamy texture. You won’t taste it at all, I promise.
A little unsweetened cocoa powder (feel free to sub chocolate protein powder for an extra boost) and frozen cherries made the smoothie portion of the bowl a treat on its own, but I really loved the crunch from the toppings. Toppings you can customize to whatever makes you happy. Just use what you have on hand. Obviously, you can feel free to swap in whatever berry you prefer and make this your own. I think that’s half the fun of a smoothie bowl anyway.
I hope you have as much fun with this recipe as I did. I’m really loving it as a cooling summer morning breakfast treat!
- 1/2 cup frozen banana, or 1/2 medium fresh banana
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup almond milk, use 1/4 cup if you have a fresh banana
- 1/4 Hass avocado
- 1 cup kale or other dark, leafy green
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- cocoa nibs
- chia seeds
- fresh sliced banana
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- Combine all the smoothie ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and top with your preferred toppings. Enjoy! *
* For an "on the go" breakfast option. Pour your smoothie into a mason jar, and then pack your toppings separately to add when you're ready to eat. Keep cold until you're ready to enjoy (and don't forget a spoon)!