When everyone in the house kept walking past sneaking tofu bits BEFORE we assembled the crispy tofu tacos, I knew this vegan taco recipe was a winner!
Full disclosure, we made this recipe two weekends in a row once I decided to add it to the blog because there wasn’t enough tofu available to take pictures after the first round. This is how good we find these tacos. I feel the need to stress this because 1. I know some of you got this glazed look in your eyes when you read the word “tofu”, and 2. If you haven’t had particularly good tofu, you might be a bit wary of trying another recipe. I get it, but trust me, if the Godfather told me he’d gladly eat these whenever I make them, this is one tofu recipe worth making.
I do recommend looking for an organic tofu because soybeans are a common GMO crop, but you can’t have the organic designation with genetically modified ingredients as far as I understand. Since soy is something that in general should be limited in a diet, it’s worth paying a little more for hopefully better quality. Now back to taco talk…
I found the original inspiration for this recipe on The Woks of Life when I was looking for a good vegan taco filling, and after trying it once as written, adapted it a bit, but it’s probably one of my favorite tofu recipes. It’s definitely not healthy, you are pan frying, but for an occasional treat, and to satisfy a meat free taco craving, these crispy tofu tacos totally hit the spot.
Just be sure to drain the tofu, don’t be shy with the seasonings, and have your favorite salsa and taco toppings on hand! Oh, and if you use corn tortillas, be sure to heat them before assembling your tacos so they don’t break. 😉
- 1 14 oz package firm tofu
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, about 1/2, finely diced
- 1 seeded and diced jalapeno pepper
- juice from half a lime
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp New Mexico chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 c frying oil, canola, vegetable, avocado, etc
- corn or flour tortillas
- Place your tofu on a paper towel lined plate, then top with 2-3 additional paper towels, add another plate, and top with something heavy (a can or wide bottle). Click here for a picture. Let the tofu drain 10 minutes while you prepare the taco veggie topping.
- To make the easy topping we like, combine the cilantro, onion, jalapeno, and lime juice in a small bowl. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- Chop to tofu into cubes (about 1/2-3/4") and gently toss with the maple syrup and hot sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the cornmeal, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Heat the oil in an 8" skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, gently toss the tofu cubes in the breading mixture and pan fry. Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil. Serve warm.
- Assemble your tacos by placing your tofu on warmed tortillas and topping with the veggie mixture. Feel free to add extra salsas or serve with fresh lime wedges on the side.