Raise your hand if you’ve overindulged in holiday treats just a little at least one day recently? I know there are at least two of you raising your hands with me. You may put your hands down now… today is a new day and I am happy to share a healthy make-ahead breakfast alternative for Christmas morning! Or any morning really where you want to have a warm and healthy breakfast waiting when you wake up.
Earlier I posted a healthier baked gingerbread doughnut recipe, but I wanted to create a savory make-ahead option as well because I personally love savory breakfasts. I need my protein to start the day and I love savory flavors in the morning.
You can even make the mix a day or so in advance and then just pour it all in to your slow cooker Christmas Eve, set it on low, and have the most beautiful crust-less quiche ready to serve before (or after) presents in the morning. We made this using our smaller slow cooker, but my mother is scaling it for her larger slow cooker (and just over three times the amount of people) and serving it this week.
Feel free to modify with your desired fillings, just like you would any omelet. We used a baby kale, chard, spinach greens mix and prosciutto with asiago cheese. My mother is making hers with just potato and onion like a traditional Spanish Tortilla (link to my recipe here). Since it took a whopping five minutes of prep time, I’m going to be repeating this recipe without cheese and maybe a different protein option next month during my Whole 30. I’m just really really excited to have a make-ahead breakfast recipe that’s savory and doesn’t require ANY additional time in the morning. Enjoy darlings!
- 6 eggs
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼" thick rounds
- 3 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 2 cups greens
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, grated
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk together to combine. Stir in the milk, salt, pepper, and cheese. Set aside.
- Layer the potatoes on the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the chopped prosciutto and greens, then pour in the egg mixture.
- Turn the slow cooker to low and cook 8 hours until the eggs are cooked through. Serve warm!