This post for Marvelous Mint Lemonade has been updated September 2016 as part of the #ThrowbackThursday photography project where I add better photos to already delicious recipes! Enjoy!
My mint plant is indestructible. It always seems that just when I think my black thumb has finally gotten to it because the pot is just a forest of small sticks, a few tiny green leaves emerge and then… MINT EVERYWHERE!
So we make mint lemonade. The mint flavor is infused into the lemonade by making an easy mint simple syrup. By making the syrup separately, you have more control over the final sweetness of the lemonade. You can also do something fun like set up a “lemonade” bar with a few types of flavored simple syrups, unsweetened water and lemon, and then guests can pick their flavors. Be warned people who may be invited to a summer barbecue at our house in the future, you may be called upon to test this idea!
The syrup can even be made a day or so in advance if you’d like a more pronounced mint flavor, just let the syrup steep with the mint leaves in your refrigerator in a sealed container or jar before mixing with the water and fresh lemon juice.
Best enjoyed a on a warm summer afternoon over ice, outdoors, with family or friends.
- Mint Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup bruised mint leaves (press the leaves slightly to release the oils)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 8-10 lemons)
- 6 cups water
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Combine the water, sugar and mint leaves in a small sauce pot over medium heat
- Stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved and then remove from heat
- If using later, pour the syrup, mint leaves and all, into a container and store in the refrigerator up to one week. If making the lemonade immediately, remove the mint leaves from the syrup and proceed to the next step
- Combine lemon juice, remaining water, and simple syrup in a pitcher
- Add ice or refrigerate to chill
- Serve cold with fresh mint leaves as garnish
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.