Mashed coconut boniato (sweet potato) is a delicious and easy recipe suited to many clean eating diets. It’s also a fabulous dairy free mashed potato dish for the holidays! The photographs in this post were updated May 2016 as part of the #ThrowbackThursday photography project.
Good morning my lovelies! It’s time for our second post in the Clean Eating: Cuban Style series this week.
This is AMAZING. Like, I-should-just-make-this-a-meal-and-eat-the-whole-thing amazing and while a blog “mom” probably shouldn’t pick between her “children”, this recipe is one of my personal favorites. I am notorious for being picky about my sweet potatoes. I will not eat sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, sweet potato fries with honey or cinnamon sugar coating, or any other candy/yam concoction. They’re just too sweet for me and I feel like adding sweetness competes with the natural flavor in a sweet potato.
So you can imagine how happy I was when I realized that the way my in-laws make sweet potatoes requires no added sweetener. At their house, they don’t usually use the orange yam “sweet potato” in anything other than soups, preferring to get their usual sweet potato fix from the white sweet potatoes very common in the Caribbean, called boniato.
On a fun side note, did you know that the sweet potato isn’t actually related to the potato at all? It’s an edible root more closely related to the morning glory flower than anything in the potato family.
This recipe, in its vegan, dairy free, almost allergy-friendly (unless you are allergic to coconuts), glory is so simple and delicious with only three (yes 3!) ingredients. White sweet potatoes, coconut cream, and a little salt. Tadaaaaaa!
We enjoyed it with the Cuban Slow Cooker Chicken, with homemade grass-fed meatballs last night, and then this morning with an egg – all delicious pairings. How will you enjoy it?
Mashed Coconut Boniato (Sweet Potato) - Dairy Free, Vegan
Another clean eating recipe with a Caribbean twist, enjoy this take on the mashed boniato (white sweet potato) with coconut!
- 2.5 lbs white sweet potato (boniato)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp salt (I used a few turns of pink Himalayan)
- Wash the boniato well and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and easy to puncture with a fork. Remove from the heat and drain the water.
- When the potatoes are just cool enough to handle, remove the peel (it will slip right off), and mash the potato into large chunks.
- Add a bit of the coconut cream, mash a little more, and repeat as necessary until all the coconut cream has been incorporated and the potatoes are at the desired consistency.
- Add salt. Adjust to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Tuesday 30th of August 2016
Trying this today. I have a Cuban friend who constantly reminds me how good these are. Thanks for sharing :-)
Mary (The Goodie Godmother)
Tuesday 30th of August 2016
Enjoy! We're huge boniato fans in this house haha