Filling and easy to prepare, these hearty Southwestern Barley Breakfast Bowls make a great whole foods breakfast option.
I cannot function in the morning without a good breakfast. I need something filling, with a balance of protein, carbs, and fat to keep me from getting hangry before I’m even out the door. Cereal does not cut it for this girl. So to keep things interesting, I like to experiment with bowls, mostly savory, like these Southwestern Barley Breakfast Bowls.
Barley is one of my favorite hearty grains to keep on hand in the kitchen because I can cook a bigger batch, use it hot in soups or bowls, cold in salads, and even freeze portions for later. For these breakfast bowls, I use barley as my base. There are many ways to cook barley, I usually follow the stovetop method and cook some while I’m making something else.
To make barley on the stovetop, bring 3 cups of water or broth to a boil, add a bit of salt, then stir in a cup of rinsed barley. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook between 25-45 minutes until tender and chewy. I’ve heard it’s a breeze in an electric pressure cooker, but haven’t tried yet. If looking to make these breakfast bowls on a weekday and you have no cooked barley, break out the slow cooker and you can make a batch overnight in about 6-8 hours on low.
Once you have your barley on hand, assembling your bowls is as easy as scrambling some eggs and opening a few cans from the pantry! I add a little kick and the Southwestern flavor with some canned green chilies. If you happen to have some roasted New Mexican Hatch Chilies on hand, use those… they’re so good! I have a few left in the freezer destined for a breakfast bowl soon. 😉
Warm your beans, canned or pre-cooked, add the toppings you desire, and breakfast is served! Easy peasy, balanced, and best of all… delicious! Here’s to happy mornings, darlings!
- 4 cups cooked barley
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 6 eggs
- 4 ounces canned or fresh green chilies
- 15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
Bowl Toppings - pick some or all!
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Warm your barley and black beans in the microwave, set aside in a warm place while you cook the eggs.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium low heat. Add the eggs and scramble in the pan, stirring very frequently. When the eggs look almost done, stir in the green chilies and cook an additional minute.
- Divide the barley between the bowls, top with the beans and eggs. Add additional toppings as desired. Serve immediately.