Soft, chewy, thick, and utterly decadent, these bakery style chocolate peanut butter chip cookies taste are milk’s best friend.
Darlings, life is always better when we have cookies. Especially thick, chewy, soft, loaded with ALL THE CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER cookies. Like these beauties. About the size of your palm, and about as thick, these cookies are the stuff of dreams, particularly when served warm.
Some time ago, I picked up a bag of peanut butter chips intending to make a version of triple chocolate peanut butter brownies. This never materialized, and the peanut butter chips just mocked me every time I looked in the “baking chip” section of the pantry. You know you have one, everyone does. Yet nothing happened, not even brownies.
…because I had to make these cookies…
One day, a serious nostalgia for school cafeteria cookies hit while I was driving. You remember those cookies… the big soft round ones. The tray usually had a choice between chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin (choose wisely lest you think these are chocolate!), and a crumbly peanut butter cookie. This is before peanuts were banned from schools. So thousands of years ago when we also had pet dinosaurs. True story.
But those cookies were thin, and we are adults now and we want big puffy cookies. So we bake. And with a few tricks, we get gorgeous, melty chip, bakery style chocolate peanut butter chip cookies.
So what makes the cookie puffy?
Well… we add a little extra flour so the ratio of dry to wet ingredients is a little closer. Then the cookies are baked at a higher temperature than usual so they bake faster and have less time to spread. Finally, we add a little extra leavener to give the cookie an additional boost. Whipping the butter until it’s nice and fluffy also helps. And then to keep the cookies from becoming tough little mounds of dough, we add some cornstarch to keep them nice and soft. If you can’t use cornstarch for whatever reason, arrowroot powder works as a 1:1 substitute.
I hope you enjoy this bakery style chocolate peanut butter chip cookie recipe! Just editing the photos has me ready to bake another batch…
Bakery Style Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
Soft, chewy, thick, and utterly decadent, these bakery style chocolate peanut butter chip cookies taste are milk's best friend.
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, or use arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, if using sea salt, use only 3/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups peanut butter chips, one 10 ounce bag
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then continue to beat about a minute more. You may do this either with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer and a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition. Then mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir on low speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to measure out about 1/3 cup of dough per cookie. To ensure consistency, I scooped 2 level scoops per cookie and then rolled them together. At this point you may choose to refrigerate the cookie dough to bake in the next 24 hours.
- If you are baking immediately, allow at least 2 inches of space between cookies. Bake in your preheated oven 8-10 minutes until the edges are just set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit on the baking sheet for 8-10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool. Don't skip this step. It helps the cookies stay together and allows latent heat to ensure the center of the cookie is baked through.
- Serve the cookies warm or at room temperature, or store in an airtight container once completely cool. Cookies will keep up to one week. Warm previously baked cookies in the microwave or a toaster oven for a few seconds for an extra special treat. 😉
Peanut Butter Chocolate Sheet Cake - Goodie Godmother - A Recipe and Lifestyle Blog
Wednesday 10th of October 2018
[…] Looking for more peanut butter chocolate treats? Check out my Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake, No Bake Honey PB Oat Bars, or Bakery Style Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies. […]
Sunday 11th of March 2018
Thank you Nancy! We will do this together!