Today is my mommy’s birthday!!! Happy birthday Mommy! As I was picking out today’s recipe, I thought, “What better way to celebrate on the blog than to share a variation on one of her favorite recipes? And what better variation to share in the fall than cinnamon sugar?”
These taste just like cinnamon rolls if cinnamon rolls were crunchy and filled with cereal and marshmallows of course. They are really good though and with the white chocolate drizzle on top you can kind of imagine cinnamon roll glaze.
And even though my mom was not the “I bake cinnamon rolls from scratch (or really anything from scratch)” kind of mom, she’s pretty incredible too. My mom is one of the strongest women I know and as I grow older, and am now a mother myself, I appreciate more the lessons she taught me. I don’t appreciate how she laughs when baby girl is being stubborn and in that grandma-sing-song voice says “that was yooooouuuuuuuu.”
In all seriousness though, she taught me the value of close family relationships, and that sometimes blood doesn’t define family. She taught me that you are responsible for your own feelings of self-worth, and others’ opinions really don’t matter because they are fleeting. That faith should be unshakable not through blind belief defined by a pulpit but through a real and personal relationship with God. She taught us that a girl should always be able to identify a trend versus a classic and know where to make investments in her wardrobe… and never pay full price unless it’s really really really really really really worth it. But never pay full price. She made sure my sisters and I knew that we should marry men who loved us even without makeup, but we should make the effort to care for ourselves anyway; not for them, for us. But most importantly, my mother taught me that it’s okay to cry, it’s okay to wear your heart on your sleeve, it’s okay to make mistakes, and be stubborn, and change your mind, and pick that one color for your hair that leaves you wondering “what was I thinking” afterwards. It’s okay to do all these things, as long as you never forget how to love, never forget joy, and no matter what challenges come, never ever give up. I love you mommy, and I made these for you. Happy birthday!
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more to butter pan
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp turbinado sugar (raw sugar crystals)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- white chocolate candy for drizzling
- Very lightly butter an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan or lightlyspray with nonstick spray.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are smooth.
- Add the cinnamon, sugar, and kosher salt. Stir 2-3 times to incorporate.
- Add in the rice cereal and stir until coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Press the warm rice marshmallow mixture into your prepared pan and allow to set.
- Remove from the pan, cut into squares and drizzle with melted white chocolate candy.