A very merry unbirthday to you (to who?) to me that’s who! *You may commence the singing and bopping along to the song now. Sloshing tea and hats optional.* Today’s about celebrating birthdays because we can, and there are so many birthdays right now in my life! My blogging friends Tara, Nicole, AND Meaghan at An Aiming High Wife, Little Blog on the Homestead, and Cook Craft Love, respectively, all celebrated birthdays in the last month. Quite a few other friends also had birthdays, and then my Mommy’s birthday is coming up in a few short weeks! Birthdays everywhere…
So today we are celebrating birthdays with a trial run of my mother’s birthday “cake”. Last year, I made my mom a creative rice crispy treat recipe when she came to visit us, and posted another on her birthday. This year is extra special though, because I will be with my mother on her birthday! I can’t remember the last time that happened, but it’s been at least 6-7 years. This year the timing worked out perfectly though because her birthday falls on the same weekend as our half marathon, so we’ll meet them and spend a few days together. So I told my mom I would bring her a birthday “cake”, whatever she requested and I could transport safely. She wanted lemon rice krispie treats or lemon crispy rice treats… whatever you want to call them.
These really couldn’t be any easier to make. I make them using a big pot on the stove top after a microwave marshmallow melting incident back in college, but you can microwave if you want as well. Use the fine side of a box grater to zest a lemon, add the fresh lemon to your treat mixture, and you’ll have just the right amount of lemon flavor to brighten the dish and add a fun twist! Pastel confetti sprinkles added just for fun. 😉
Since these were a request, I know I’m not ruining the surprise by sharing this recipe a little early. I hope you enjoy, and happy birthday to you… whenever it may be!
Scroll past the recipe for some more great birthday inspiration from some friends!
Lemon Crispy Rice Treats
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 tbsp salted butter or 4 tbsp unsalted butter and a pinch of salt
- tbsp zest from 1 fresh lemon about 1.5-2
- Use the wrapper from the butter or nonstick spray to coat the inside of a 9x13" pan. Set aside.
- If you haven't already, zest the lemon and set the zest aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until they have completely melted. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Working quickly, stir in the lemon zest. Then add the rice cereal and stir until completely coated in marshmallow mixture.
- Press the treat mixture into your prepared pan and allow to cool and set.
- Cut into squares and serve! Will keep up to 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature.
Chocolate Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cook. Craft. Love.
Celebrating a Birthday Alone, An Aiming High Wife
Lemon Crispy Rice Treats, Goodie Godmother
DIY Magazine Gift Bags, Little Blog on the Homestead
5 Fabulous Tips for Hosting an Ordinary Birthday Party, No Bohn’s About It