My friends post fabulous pictures of food, and they aren’t even food bloggers! They do love to travel though, and share their adventures. One of my friends posted a photo of an ice cream macaron she enjoyed on a recent trip to Walt Disney World and I thought… GENIUS!
So as we do, we make it at home because we can. And also, chocolate and ice cream… on a macaron! So off to my local grocery store I went to find ice cream. You can pick whatever flavor you like, but I found a fabulous salted caramel and since that’s what I wanted, that’s what I bought. 😉
I made macarons in a slightly larger than usual size, about 3 inches across, using the Italian method outlined here. Once the macaron shells cooled, I took the ice cream out of the freezer for a few minutes to soften, then scooped it into the shells and carefully pressed them together. I stored the macarons in the freezer, melted some dark chocolate candy in the microwave, dipped half the shells, sprinkled with a little additional salt, and allowed them to set on wax paper before returning them to the freezer until it was time to serve.
They’re beautiful and easy to make since you just have to worry about the shells to make these exquisite macaron ice cream sandwiches. The nice thing is, you can pick whatever color for the shells, use your favorite ice cream flavor for the filling, and choose to dip the shells in your choice of chocolate, or not. Make these for your next summer barbecue, they’re a perfect summer dessert for a group!
- 150 g fine ground almond flour
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 150 g powdered sugar
- 25 g water
- 1 pt ice cream, your favorite flavor
- chocolate candy for dipping (optional)
- Make the macarons (full instructions in the post linked to in the notes). Make them slightly larger than usual if desired, about 3" across. You will need to bake a little longer than usual by about 2-3 minutes.
- Soften the ice cream on the counter, and then scoop into the macaron shells, gently pressing together to make sandwiches. Place the macarons in the freezer.
- If you plan to dip the macarons in chocolate, melt your chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave. Dip the macarons, removing from the freezer no more than two at a time. Add additional toppings if desired.
- Allow the chocolate dipped macarons to set on wax paper for a few minutes, and then return to the freezer until you are ready to serve.