Bacon cheddar stuffed mushrooms can be prepared up to a day in advance before warming to serve. Make before your next gathering, then heat and eat!
Want to read something truly frightening? Think about offering to host a gathering and then trying to make appetizers the same day as the party. Terrifying, darlings, terrifying. Planning like that is counter to all the good entertaining advice I can give you. You want to be able to relax, enjoy your guests, and definitely, definitely, not stress! I think maybe that’s why I’m sharing this party-ready appetizer now. Not only is it a tasty appetizer for sporting watch parties, it’s equally at home for the holidays. See what I did there? 😉
You really can’t go wrong with crisp cooked bacon and cheese stuffed into mushrooms and baked in cast iron. I like You can, of course, use a baking sheet lined with aluminum instead, but I think the cast iron adds a bit of a better flavor. Partially due to the fact that I cook the bacon in the cast iron, which adds to the “seasoning”. Additionally, if you’re serving this at a casual gathering, a pretty enamel cast iron pan doubles as a serving dish; just don’t forget the trivet! Cast iron retains heat for some time.
The best thing about this appetizer though, is that bacon cheddar stuffed mushrooms can be prepared up to 1 day in advance, refrigerated, and then baked when needed. When planning kitchen time as a hostess/host, it’s important to plan a few dishes you can make in advance so you don’t have to worry about doing everything at the last minute. Stuffed mushrooms, always a party hit, seem like something you’d have to make last minute, when in reality, you’re just baking and serving at party time. Enjoy, darlings!
Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Mushrooms
Bacon cheddar stuffed mushrooms are an easy party appetizer you can prepare ahead of time!
- 4 thick slices bacon, 8 oz, 240 g
- 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 standard package
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 tbsp fresh chopped chives, divided
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 16-24 ounces mushrooms, stems removed
- Cook your bacon in your cast iron skillet in batches until crispy, about 7 minutes over medium heat. Place the bacon on paper towels to drain, then remove all but 1 tbsp bacon grease from the skillet. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, dice finely
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, half a cup of the shredded cheddar, 2 tbsp chives, the Worcestershire sauce, and the diced bacon. If you like hot sauce, add a bit here to taste (totally optional). Adjust any seasonings to taste.
- Stir one egg yolk into the cheese mixture. Preheat your oven to 375 F if baking immediately.
- Rinse and dry your mushrooms, remove the stems. If you'd like, reserve the stems for later, they're great for use in omelettes. Scoop the filling into the mushroom caps and arrange the mushrooms in your cast iron skillet. Top with the remaining shredded cheese. If you are baking later, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate now. Remove from refrigeration before you preheat your oven.
- Place the cast iron skillet with the mushrooms in the oven and bake 25 minutes until the cheese topping turns a light golden brown. Remove and garnish with the remaining fresh chives. Serve immediately.
25 Make Ahead Thanksgiving Appetizers Ideas to Plan Ahead
Friday 16th of November 2018
[…] Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Mushrooms from goodiegodmother.com […]