Add greens to your breakfast with this delicious breakfast salad recipe! Smoky bacon, a poached egg, and fresh greens make this salad a perfect light meal, morning, noon, or night. The maple vinaigrette alone is worth making this recipe.
Breakfast is one of my favorite meals to enjoy any time of day! And coming up with creative breakfast ideas – like this breakfast salad recipe – is so much fun. When I need to work through a surplus of greens or just get some more vegetables in our diet, this breakfast salad is first on the menu!
Between a mid-week grocery stop and our CSA box, we found ourselves with an abundance of salad mix. I love vegetables, but this was a lot.
Combine the surplus with a stretch of evenings far too chilly for salad, and I had to figure out how to use all those greens without the monotony of grilled chicken salad for lunch ever day! I have to have variety!
But I’m also entirely too lazy to make an extra grocery trip for ingredients I don’t have. And I was missing a few ingredients to make a Cobb salad. But I had eggs, bacon, maple syrup, and some inspiration from Nigella’s site.
As you can see, it all worked out.
The salad (especially the dressing) was SO good! Not only did I have it for lunch, I made it for our breakfast that very same weekend.
That’s how this ended up on the blog, as it wasn’t originally intended to be a blog post. If don’t blog it, I might lose the recipe, and that would be very sad.
Quick note about the eggs…
If you don’t want to poach the eggs, make them sunny side up. A soft boiled egg scooped out of the shell works beautifully too. It’s also less fussy to make soft boiled eggs, especially if you’re making salad for more than 2-3 people.
To make a soft boiled egg, bring water to a light boil (think little bubbles, medium to medium high heat), and place your eggs in the water for 6 minutes and 45 seconds, maintaining the tiny bubble boil. Remove immediately and rinse under cold water. You’ll get a perfect soft boiled egg. I’ll write a post or make a video about this eventually…
I hope you love this breakfast salad recipe!
Of course, we’ve had it for breakfast, but it’s also been on the menu for lunch and dinner. As with any salad, feel free to add or omit ingredients that you like. I do it all the time based on what I have on hand. The only way you’ll enjoy eating your greens is if you get creative. Enjoy, darlings!
- 4-6 cups salad mix
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 eggs
Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons oil (a light olive oil or neutral flavored oil works well)
- dash of salt (optional, check dressing first, then add if needed)
- Place bacon in a cool skillet and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally until desired crispness. Drain on paper towels and chop or crumble before adding to salad
- While the bacon is cooking, whisk mustard, maple syrup, oil, vinegar and salt (if needed) in a small bowl to make the dressing. Adjust ingredients to taste.
- Cook the eggs using your preferred method. I recommend poached or soft boiled, followed by sunny side up or easy over.
- Divide the lettuce and tomato between two plates and drizzle or toss with dressing. Top with one egg each and the crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
A more recent note: Lately, we've liked to serve this for dinner with some grilled chicken and avocado added in addition to the egg. It's very good, so feel free to make this your own and comment with what you've tried and loved!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.