This recipe has a hint of lemon, the right amount of paprika, and an incredible crispy texture. These crispy oven roasted Spanish potatoes are delicious!
It’s no secret we love potatoes in this house. We prepare them all different ways, and I’m always collecting new recipes to try. We also love Spanish flavors, and my husband laughs that my Spanish side shows with my love of adding paprika to almost everything. One of the most often heard questions when I’m “to taste” seasoning a savory dish is, “should I add paprika?” And yet, I don’t think I have a dish on the blog with paprika and potatoes. Not that this dish is paprika heavy (it isn’t), but making it made me think of this story.
I firmly believe many of the best recipes come from travel. There’s just something about being adventurous that always seems to lead to delicious experiences. I didn’t travel for this recipe, but Claire at Sprinkles and Sprouts did, so I really couldn’t resist making this, but it doesn’t take much convincing to get me to try her recipes. If you haven’t spent some time browsing her site, go (after you finish reading this of course). 😉
Also, I recently invested in a copy of The Food Lab (great resource – highly recommend), and the author devotes a section to the science behind oven roasted potatoes. It was one of the first 3 sections I read and has changed the way I roast potatoes forever. I love a good crispy oven roasted potato, and I bet you do too, but have you really ever figured out The Secret? I hadn’t. I’d played with temperature, soaking, tossing, you name it. And then I tried the technique in the book and it’s worked perfectly. Consistently. Because SCIENCE! Yes, it adds a little time, but the results are so worthwhile.
If you don’t have smoked paprika, you can substitute sweet, of course. One time we made this, I mixed a little hot Hungarian paprika in with the smoked for a smoky spicy variation – delicious. Do what makes your heart happy, but do make these crispy oven roasted Spanish potatoes! Enjoy, darlings!
- 2 lbs starchy potatoes, 907 g
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried parsley, or 2-3 tbsp fresh diced parsley
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus a bit extra for salting your water
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- extra parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 F (200 C, mark 6) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil while you dice your potatoes. Cook the potatoes 8-10 minutes until just al dente, you don't need to cook them through, but a fork should be able to pierce a cube.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine your spices, tomato paste, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Drain the potatoes and then add them to the mixing bowl and mix until well coated.
- Place the seasoned potatoes on your baking sheet and bake 40-50 minutes, turning halfway, until cooked through and crispy.
- Top with juice from half a lemon and fresh parsley just before serving. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Adapted from Smokey Spanish Potatoes