Happy Monday darlings! It’s that time of the month again where I share a delicious new recipe from another wonderful blogger in the Secret Recipe Club! If you’re new here, the Secret Recipe Club is a fun group of food bloggers that play a sort of “secret Santa” each month. We are assigned to another blogger’s blog and make one of their dishes, with minimal modifications if any, to feature on our own blog. This month, I was assigned to Corey at Learning Patience. I connected with her immediately because, like me, she too likes to run, travel, and eat. This makes her good people.
When searching for a recipe to make, I was immediately drawn to her Indian and Lime Sprouts Salad because, well, I very openly love all things Brussels sprouts as you can see by the number of recipes here. And then I thought about seafood because Corey had Thomas Keller’s Caramelized Sea Scallops recipe, which looked delicious, and Thomas Keller’s recipes are wonderful. Or maybe something simple for hot weather like this Shrimp, Avocado, and Tomato Salad. And then I spied the Cucumber Cape Codder cocktail, and decided that sounded great. My mother-in-law was coming to visit, so we’d have more people to enjoy it, and the cucumber simple syrup intrigued me. It didn’t even dawn on me that I don’t currently own a pitcher. I should fix that situation soon, but a mixing bowl worked just as well.
I really liked this recipe! It was light and refreshing. The only thing I would probably change the next time I make it is to add less simple syrup. We don’t really have very many sweet drinks, so we did find it a little bit sweet, but we still liked it. It’s great for sipping while sitting on the porch on a summer afternoon, and can be easily doubled or tripled if you’ll have a big crowd.
In fact, If you have guests that don’t drink, I think it would make a delicious mocktail too, just skip the vodka. I might even add a little club soda in its place for some fizz!
Cheers! Thanks for joining me for another fabulous Secret Recipe Club reveal day! Be sure to scroll down to the InLinkz Linkup to check out the other great recipes for this month.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups grated English cucumber, plus cucumber wedges for garnish
- 9 oz vodka, chilled
- 12 oz unsweetened cranberry juice
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
Make the cucumber simple syrup (make in advance)
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Grate the cucumber and place into your simple syrup container. A large jar works really well.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, then pour over your grated cucumber.
- Allow to cool, and store in the refrigerator. Strain out the cucumber before use. You can make this up to three days in advance.
Mix the cocktail
- In a pitcher, pour half your simple syrup, the vodka, cranberry juice, and lime. Stir.
- Taste and add more simple syrup if desired to reach your preferred sweetness level.
- Pour into highball glasses filled with ice. Garnish with a cucumber wedge.
- Enjoy responsibly!