This post updated June 2015 as part of the #ThrowbackThursday photography project. I re-make and re-shoot an old recipe from the blog, then post the new photos along with the old photos.
Did you know April is Grilled Cheese Month? Neither did I until I was
wasting time on Facebook catching up on the news one morning earlier this month. Not the kind of people to let an important national holiday such as this go without observation, the Godfather and I found the perfect opportunity to celebrate after I baked a batch of spent grain bread and made some mozzarella.
Like? I made regular mozzarella and roasted garlic. It’s okay if you don’t make your own cheese, this is a new amusement for me, but it won’t replace the convenience of store-bought. Buy your favorite and enjoy without guilt!
Before we get to the recipe I’d like to impart a wonderful little tidbit of information that will save you a few minutes of cleaning time. Line your panini press with foil, then spray the foil with nonstick spray and grill. The grill stays clean, your sandwich doesn’t stick, and all is right in the world… or something. I worked in a deli a million years ago and this was one of the valuable life lessons learned. You’re welcome.
- 4 slices of wheat or whole grain bread
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp sliced fresh basil
- 4 slices fresh tomato
- Line your panini press with foil, spray with nonstick spray, then preheat to medium heat.
- In a skillet, cook your bacon to desired crispness and drain.
- Layer cheese, bacon and basil on your bread then place on the panini press and grill until the cheese is melted and the outside of the bread is lightly toasted.
- Remove the sandwiches from the grill and add the tomato slices.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you click on a link and make a purchase, Goodie Godmother receives a small commission at no cost to you. This helps us maintain the blog and keep developing delicious new recipes for you to enjoy. Thank you for your support!