My favorite broccoli salad recipe has been updated with new pictures May 2016 as part of the #ThrowbackThursday photography project, where I add new photos to already delicious recipes!
Today is my ninth wedding anniversary and I’d like to share with you all the most romantic recipe of all… my favorite broccoli salad recipe. Broccoli is very romantic.
Not really, actually it really isn’t at all, but it makes an amazing side dish to share with those you love. Or dinner for you, straight out of the bowl, when your sweetie is away. Not that I’m speaking from experience there. 😉 And this is my favorite broccoli salad recipe, ever. I love it, and today is about love.
On a side note, If you’re curious as to how a food blogger celebrates a wedding anniversary, we are planning a night of Spanish tapas and delicious Paso Robles wine at home. Because the weekend Friday night restaurant rush in suburbia just doesn’t sound very exciting or special to be honest.
But let’s talk broccoli now shall we? I know everyone has a broccoli salad recipe they’ve tried. Some are very heavy on the dressing, some have bacon, others are vinaigrette-based, but none have ever measured up to this one for me. This is my go-to, my personal favorite, one I make without even measuring ingredients most of the time because I know the flavor profile by heart. It’s just creamy enough, with crunchy broccoli bits, sweet dried cranberries, and toasted nuts. If you have a nut allergy (or don’t have any in the house), you can skip the nuts. But when I have them, I like to add them in.
I look forward to warm weather every year so I can make this salad. It’s a great side for picnics and barbecues. We recently enjoyed it with some Kansas City ribs the Godfather made, and it was a very complimentary side dish. It’s a salad that takes just minutes to make, especially if you have pre-toasted nuts, and you can make it up to a day in advance. The firm vegetables keep the dressed salad from getting soggy. I usually assemble it a few hours before I plan to serve, and then send leftovers off to work the next day for lunch.
We just couldn’t start summer without this recipe, and once you try it, I think it will be one of your favorite summer sides too!
- 5 cups chopped broccoli (florets and stems)
- ⅓ c dried cranberries
- ¾ c finely chopped sweet onion
- ½ c toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds
- ½ c mayonnaise
- ¼ c milk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Wash and chop your broccoli into bite-sized pieces and place into a medium mixing bowl.
- Chop your onion and add to the bowl, then add the cranberries and toasted nuts. If the nuts haven't been toasted already, toast them by placing them on a skillet over medium low heat and stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes until they are nice and golden. Remove immediately from the heat (they burn easily).
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, milk, lemon juice, sugar, and salt until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat well.
- Let the salad rest in the refrigerator at least two hours to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve chilled!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.