Breakfast is delicious and low carb with this easy sausage egg casserole recipe! This is a keto-friendly breakfast casserole that couldn’t be simpler to assemble and reheats well.
Darlings, I’m all about breakfast casseroles recently. Maybe it’s the simplicity of serving a single dish at breakfast with a simple side of fruit, or how well leftovers reheat. But casseroles of all sorts have been on the weekend brunch menu the past month or so. And this sausage egg casserole, which we made with an AMAZING local sausage, was a huge hit! So you know I had to share. Like it’s my “job” or something… (haha).
Seriously though, sausage and cheese egg casserole is a classic. Often times, you’ll see recipes with potatoes or bread added as a base to bulk the dish. But I’ve been making it a lot in the style of my zucchini egg bake, with no bread added. Which, incidentally, makes this a keto-friendly casserole. How do I know this? I have a lot of friends living the keto life that like to post their meals.
But really, who doesn’t love a cheesy breakfast dish? You really can’t go wrong here. Grab a package of your favorite crumbled sausage, cook it up until browned and irresistible. Drain and set aside.
I like to soften my vegetables a little bit before adding them to the casserole. Times I’ve sauteed the vegetables, it seems like my pickier family members are more likely to eat them. I think because the texture is more homogenous and bits of even slightly raw onion get a hard pass from the little people. So if you have a few minutes, do that.
The best part is, if you use the same skillet where you browned the sausage, you already have grease for browning, AND bonus sausage flavor.
The vegetables listed in the recipe are only a suggestion. I change it up based on what I have on hand. I do like to include bell peppers for color but omit depending on the cheese. Spinach is almost a daily addition to my eggs. The flexibility in this recipe is what really keeps it fun!
You can change up the cheese, the vegetables, the type of sausage. Even skip the sausage and substitute with bacon or leftover ham!
To keep things simple, I always use pre-shredded cheese! My favorites for this recipe are either a classic like cheddar or a cheddar blend or a Tex-Mex style cheese blend. But when we only have shredded mozzarella, I’ll use that too… then add just a pinch of Italian seasoning if it works with the sausage I’m using. Improvise!
The best part about this recipe is that it reheats well. We get several meals from leftovers, and it doesn’t just have to be breakfast! If the local cafe can serve quiche and salad for lunch, I can pair some of this tasty breakfast casserole with vegetables for my own “pick two” style meal. And while I love cooking, it’s nice to simplify a few of the 21 meals that need to be made each week.
I hope you love this sausage egg casserole recipe, darlings!
Sausage Egg Casserole
Breakfast is delicious and low carb with this easy sausage egg casserole recipe! This is a keto-friendly breakfast casserole that couldn't be simpler to assemble and reheats well.
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 12 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- In a skillet set over medium heat, brown the sausage crumbles. Remove from the pan, drain excess grease and set aside. Leave about a tablespoon of the grease in the pan.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion and bell pepper 3-5 minutes until translucent and slightly softened. Stir in the spinach and cook another minute until it's just wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the sausage and vegetables in an 8x8 or 9x9 inch casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, 2/3 of the shredded cheese, heavy cream, and seasonings. Pour over the sausage and vegetable mixture. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 30-35 minutes until the center is set and the cheese is golden. Allow to rest 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm and enjoy!