A grilled pound cake sundae is an easy summer dessert you assemble rather than bake, so you can enjoy delicious summer flavors with minimal effort!
Ya’ll know I love (love) my complicated and detailed desserts. I love baking breads, making pastry, decorating cakes, etc… but in the summer, I ease up a bit. Maybe it’s because the weather is nicer so the Godfather is at the grill more often, or maybe because we spend more time outside enjoying the warmer weather, but I’m always on the lookout for simpler desserts. Since it’s #CookoutWeek, I couldn’t let the week pass without sharing one of my favorite crazy easy grilled desserts, grilled pound cake.
When we make this in the summer, I just buy the cake. If we don’t have homemade ice cream in the freezer, I buy the ice cream, and we buy our berries because my strawberry plants aren’t really producing yet this year. Maybe next year. And if you really want to know how simple I keep things with this recipe, when the grill isn’t available (it wasn’t for these pictures), I use a grill pan. Boom.
Actually, we’re making this for our Fourth of July dessert this year (on the actual grill) since we have family over again and wanted to keep things simple. Only instead of using vanilla ice cream this weekend, we’re using cookies and cream because we’re wild and crazy like that. 😉
Plain, unglazed pound cake works best for this recipe because glaze and any chocolate or fruit add ins will burn when toasted, even though you “grill” the pound cake over indirect heat (or a medium low on your grill pan). Simply spread both sides with softened butter, grill, top, and enjoy! If you aren’t going for a patriotic red, white, and blue color scheme with the fresh berries, grilled pineapple, grilled peaches, or even apple pie filling make delicious alternative toppings!
Grilled Pound Cake Sundae
- 1 10 oz pound cake standard loaf size sold in most stores
- unsalted butter softened
- 1 pint ice cream
- If you are already grilling something, make sure you have a clean area on the grill with indirect heat (i.e. - not over the coals or heat source directly). If you are using a grill pan, preheat the pan over medium low heat.
- Slice the pound cake into 8 slices, approximately 1" each. Butter both sides of each slice. If your butter isn't soft, you may melt it and use a pastry brush to brush on the butter. Either method works.
- Grill the cake slices for 2-3 minutes until you have golden grill marks. Flip carefully and grill another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve warm and top with ice cream and berries