It takes just a few minutes (and only 1 flavor of ice cream) to make this delicious and easy Neapolitan milkshake. Vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate make the perfect treat on a hot day!
In second grade, my teacher used to hold ice cream parties each Friday if the class accomplished certain goals that week. We looked forward to it all week, and it was an extra exciting week if we got Neapolitan ice cream because you could ask for three flavors in one scoop! Of course, my friends and I always waited until it melted a bit and then mixed it up to make a thick “ice cream soup”, so I’m not sure why it was so exciting, but it was, and the idea of three flavors in one sip was the inspiration behind this easy Neapolitan milkshake!
Because I wanted to keep this recipe easy, I really wanted to keep ingredients minimal. I got it down to four ingredients, and minimal prep time. As in, I made this milkshake once to test, the three of us drank it, and then I made another one later, during nap time, for pictures and sharing with the Godfather. Both were creamy chocolate, vanilla, strawberry throwback comfort food. The grownup version of my ice cream soup.
The most time consuming part of this smoothie is mixing the layers individually. I used my big blender since our small one died a little while ago, but a small smoothie blender would be easier to use if you’re only making 1 or two milkshakes. If you are scaling the recipe to make enough Neapolitan milkshakes for a crowd, use a larger blender, and I would recommend setting the cups on a rimmed tray for easy transport in and out of the freezer. I think it would be darling to make mini versions of this recipe for a party, they’d look so perfect on a dessert table!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for easy Neapolitan milkshakes!
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, divided
- 3-5 tbsp milk, divided
- 2 tbsp chocolate syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 whole fresh or frozen strawberries
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate Syrup
- Fresh strawberries
- Place 1/3 cup ice cream, the chocolate syrup, and 1 tbsp milk in your blender. Blend and pour into a tall glass. Place the glass in the freezer.
- Rinse the blender, then add 1/3 cup ice cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Blend. Add 1 tbsp milk if needed to thin. Remove the glass from the freezer and carefully pour the vanilla layer over the chocolate layer. Return the glass to the refrigerator.
- Place the remaining ice cream and strawberries in the blender with 1 tbsp milk. Blend until smooth. If you need to, add a little sugar or honey to sweeten. Remove the milkshake glass from the freezer and add the final layer.
- Top milkshake with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and a fresh strawberry if desired.