Soothe a sore throat with one of my favorite natural remedies, a ginger turmeric sore throat soother!
Early this year, I was introduced to cooking with fresh turmeric, and I now use it whenever possible in lieu of dry. Not only is it supposed to be super good for you and full of great anti-inflammatory curcuminoids, it tastes good. With seasonal colds starting to make the rounds in the Godfather’s office, I knew I needed to prepare just in case any germs enter the house.
Last year, my friend Meaghan at Cook Craft Love posted a Sore Throat Tea recipe that I bookmarked in case it was needed. I used that recipe as my base to create my ginger turmeric sore throat soother. Meaghan has quite a few quick and easy recipes on her blog, which is fabulous if you’re just building confidence in the kitchen or looking for something tasty while short on time. Definitely pop over and check her out.
I added ginger in addition to the turmeric because my mother always told me fresh ginger was healthy. I know there are supposed to be other health benefits, but I defer to Dr. Mom here because I’m partial to the flavor of fresh ginger. Ginger and turmeric also pair beautifully in one of my favorite fruit and veggie smoothies. No additional research required to convince me to add ginger to a recipe.
I call this a sore throat soother instead of a tea because I chose not to add any tea to the drink. My mother would give us honey and lemon when we had a sore throat as kids, and this reminds me of that concoction with a few added benefits, in warm drink form. You’ll have enough for two standard mugs, or one extra large mug. Whip up a batch, or have someone make it for you next time you have a sore throat. It’s the perfect accompaniment to your favorite blanket and a book or show until you feel better.
Ginger Turmeric Sore Throat Soother
Soothe a sore throat naturally with this ginger turmeric sore throat soother.
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and cut into rounds, 56g, about 2" long depending on thickness
- 2 inches fresh turmeric, peeled, 10 g, about a thumb-sized piece
- 1 stick cinnamon, or use 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- juice from half a lemon, about 2 tbsp
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- In a small saucepan bring the water, turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon stick just to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to stand 3 minutes, then pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove the ginger and turmeric pieces.
- Stir in the lemon juice and honey. If you are using ground cinnamon instead of a stick, mix it in here. Serve warm.
Top 5 Sore Throat Tea To Make It Better | Donnadonella
Sunday 23rd of February 2020
[…] Ginger Turmeric Sore Throat Soother […]