The best gluten free vanilla cupcakes I’ve tried – recipe tested and approved with rave reviews by those who eat gluten. The texture is incredible, and there are NO gums.
I’ve toyed with a gluten free cake recipe for a while now, but a friend finally provided the necessary motivation to perfect my recipe. Her little girl was celebrating her first birthday, and I – once again – volunteered myself to make her a little smash cake. And I told her it would be gluten free. The family lives nearby, so I send them cake fairly often, but Mama only gets to eat the frosting since she was rather recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance. No fun.
Thankfully, the fun has returned. These gluten free vanilla cupcakes make me happy because they act like regular gluten-containing cupcakes. They rise beautifully, and then when the cake has cooled you can even do things like crumble it for cake pops that actually taste good! Imagine the possibilities – cakes, trifles, petit fours! So many options, all from one perfect gluten free vanilla cupcake recipe.
You know this means more gluten free cake recipes on the site, right? It’s pretty exciting.
I used a pre-made all purpose flour blend since the amount of gluten free baking I do is limited. I prefer either the brand with the knight on the box, or the one from the grocery store where the employees wear Hawaiian shirts. Use your favorite, make your own, do what makes you happy, I’m leaving these recommendations here for those who don’t do enough gluten free baking to test different flours.
Now is also probably a good time to mention that these gluten free vanilla cupcakes contain NO GUMS! By gums, I’m referring to the xantham gum and guar gum used in lots of commercial gluten free baking because they help to create lift in baked goods. I don’t like to use them for two reasons – I wouldn’t use the whole package before it expires, and gluten free baked goods with gums make my throat itch more often than not. So I used golden flax instead, which worked beautifully, and no one was the wiser.
I hope you enjoy these gluten free vanilla cupcakes!
**A friendly reminder, if you are baking these for a gluten free friend, be sure to use clean measuring cups and clean all surfaces very well to minimize the chance of cross-contamination by gluten-containing ingredients.**
- 1 cup granulated sugar, 200 g
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened (120 g)
- 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour, 312 g
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed, 6 g
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream, 150 g
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C, Gas Mark 3/4), and place two dozen (24) liners in cupcake pans. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Stir in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, flax, salt, and baking powder.
- Running the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake the cupcakes 18-23 minutes until a tester comes out clean and the center of a cupcake springs back lightly when touched.
- Allow to cool completely, then frost as desired.