Beat the heat with a fancy treat when you make ice cream macarons! This ice cream macaron tutorial will walk you through the steps for making your own ice cream macarons in any flavor you’d like. The demonstrated recipe is for salted caramel ice cream macarons.
My friends post fabulous pictures of food, and they aren’t even all food bloggers! They do love to travel though, and share their adventures. One of my friends posted a photo of an ice cream macaron she enjoyed on a recent trip to Walt Disney World and I thought… GENIUS!
So as we do, we make it at home because we can. And also, chocolate and ice cream… on a macaron! So off to my local grocery store I went to find ice cream. You can pick whatever flavor you like, but I found a fabulous salted caramel and since that’s what I wanted, that’s what I bought. 😉
So how do I make my own ice cream macarons?
Bake your macaron shells in a slightly larger than usual size, about 3 inches across, using the Italian method outlined here. You may also use the French method if you prefer – this is about doing what works for you. Once the macaron shells coole, take the ice cream out of the freezer for a few minutes to soften, then scoop it into the shells and carefully press them together. Store the macarons in the freezer. That’s it!
If you’d like to get a little fancy like I did, drizzle the tops of your macarons with chocolate and caramel and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. Paint with a little edible paint, or brush with gel and add sprinkles. Get creative!
Ice cream macarons are beautiful and easy to make since you just have to worry about the shells. It’s a good semi-homemade summer dessert for the baker crowd. 😉
Do you have any other ice cream macaron flavor combination ideas?
Of course I do! A few more ideas to get you started…
- strawberry ice cream in chocolate shells or regular shells with a chocolate drizzle
- lemon macaron shells with a lemon ice cream – follow instructions for the lime macaron shells, but swap the lime zest for lemon
- birthday cake ice cream with sprinkle covered macaron shells
You are only limited by the inspiration found in your local ice cream aisle.
So off you go, to make one cool summer dessert. Enjoy, darlings!
- 150 g fine ground almond flour
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 150 g powdered sugar
- 25 g water
- 1 pt ice cream, your favorite flavor
- chocolate candy for dipping (optional)
- Make the macarons (full instructions in the post linked to in the notes). Make them slightly larger than usual if desired, about 3" across. You will need to bake a little longer than usual by about 2-3 minutes.
- Soften the ice cream on the counter, and then scoop into the macaron shells, gently pressing together to make sandwiches. Place the macarons in the freezer on a lined baking sheet.
- If you plan to drizzle the macarons with chocolate, melt your chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave. Remove the macarons from the freezer, drizzle, working quickly, and return to the freezer until ready to serve.
- Ice cream macarons can be messy to eat, so make sure to keep spoons and napkins handy. Enjoy!
For full instructions on how to make macarons please see the following link: https://goodiegodmother.com/how-to-make-macarons/