I think I have more Brussels sprouts recipes on this blog than any other single ingredient. I know it’s definitely the most frequently featured vegetable, but I’ve always roasted it or cooked it in some way, and this time I didn’t, so it’s different enough to merit ANOTHER Brussels sprouts post. Brussels sprouts are wonderful in any season, even when you can’t bear the thought of turning on the oven. They’re versatile like that.
It hasn’t been hot here by any means, but we have had some rather enjoyable days recently that make me very optimistic for sun dresses and sandals very soon, and roasting vegetables was just going to ruin that optimism for me. The only problem is, I had a bag of Brussels sprouts in the fridge, and when rummaging through the produce drawer looking for easy side dish inspiration, I spied them crying out for attention, asking to be used before they started to turn. Then I remembered reading about a Brussels sprouts slaw recipe in a food magazine last summer and mentally filing the idea away for later. They used the sprouts like one would cabbage and it looked really good.
I didn’t want anything creamy though as I wanted to keep to spring flavors and I was serving the salad as an accompaniment to my stuffed grape leaves, so a slaw dressing was clearly out of the question. Instead, I defaulted to my usual lemon and olive oil dressing and jazzed things up a bit with some dry toasted pine nuts and shaved Pecorino Romano cheese. The olive oil and toasted nuts added creaminess, a little bite from the lemon and cheese, and crunch from the finely chopped sprouts and this salad was PERFECT! Also, it was done in 10 minutes, which was awesome.
Oh, and the Godfather loved it, as in he took some for lunch the next day, and told me I should make it again. This NEVER happens people, at least not with Brussels sprouts. So when you next spy sprouts at your farmer’s market or grocery store, pick some up. Your new favorite salad is 10 minutes away. 😉
Brussels Sprouts Salad
It takes just 10 minutes to make this easy and delicious fresh Brussels sprouts salad with flavors inspired by the Mediterranean!
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 c untoasted pine nuts (you may substitute slivered almonds as well)
- 1 oz/28 g shaved Pecorino Romano (or substitute another hard Italian cheese)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Chop the sprouts very fine, removing the tough stem ends and shriveled outer leaves and place in a mixing bowl.
- Place a dry skillet over medium heat and add the pine nuts. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes until lightly toasted and remove from heat immediately. Place in a small bowl to cool while you finish the rest of the salad.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt in a small bowl and pour over the Brussels sprouts.
- Add the toasted nuts and cheese, and toss to evenly distribute the dressing.
- Serve immediately.