Fresh cranberries and in-season pomegranates make a perfect pairing in this easy slow cooker pomegranate cranberry sauce recipe!
Last year, I really fell in love with fresh cranberries. I put cranberries on baked brie, in orange bars, scones, nothing was safe! In fact, our cranberry sauce last year was just an extra batch of the topping I made for the baked brie. But this year, when I picked up fresh cranberries, I wanted something different. Having just been lured into purchasing a small mountain of gorgeous ruby pomegranates, combining cranberries and pomegranates into a sauce only seemed natural. I’m glad to report that the results are delicious, and with the help of a slow cooker, easy!
I feel the sweetness of the pomegranate seeds combined with the tartness of the fresh cranberries really make this particular sauce unique. I plan to make another batch next week to accompany our Thanksgiving turkey. If you don’t have any fresh pomegranates on hand, or just don’t feel like peeling them, you may just use pomegranate juice. To avoid seeds in my cranberry sauce, I used a food mill to extract the juice. This is optional. If you don’t mind the seed “crunch” leave the pomegranate seeds whole and just smash them a bit.
You can make this up to 3 days in advance if you’re preparing a huge Thanksgiving feast and want to space out the cooking. I hope you enjoy this easy slow cooker cranberry sauce darlings! It’s a beautiful way to incorporate seasonal produce in your holiday meals! And if you really love it, pomegranate season goes into February… 😉
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 cup pomegranate juice, approximately the juice yielded from 1 large pomegranate, seeded
- 1 shallot, finely diced - you may also sub 2 tbsp diced sweet onion
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice, optional
- salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low. Stir the sauce and mash the cranberries slightly with the back of your spoon if needed.
- Salt to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.